United World College (UWC) is an incredible opportunity for learning and becoming a part of a global community. Applying to UWC can be actually quite nervous because for the most part all of the students who apply to UWC have such an intense desire to attend this school. Especially when they become familiar with the program and what being accepted will mean to their future.
Students who apply from around the world share a set of values and a universal mission for peace. UWC students share a lifelong dedication of being united in their commitment for positive social action with the goal of building a more fair and equitable world.
UWC has 13 colleges and schools located on five continents, so you will need to narrow down your choices when applying. Upon selecting your preferable schools, you will either apply directly to the selection contact at a particular school or by way of a national committee. The following are all essential components to applying at any UWC.
- Academic achievements are highly valued so you need to have a transcript, PSAT scores, PLAN, SAT, or ACT scores.
- Recommendations written by a teacher, advisor or counselor will be required with the application.
- Personal Statement written by applicant that shows evidence of maturity, strong character and gives the committee an insight to who the applicant is.
- Community Service record should be included to demonstrate the applicants commitment to serving others.
Additionally, the following are some of the qualities UWC looks for in a potential student. Students who possess these qualities are understandably more apt to be considered for enrollment because of UWC’s mission and philosophy.
- Moral responsibility
- Social maturity
- A commitment to promoting understanding among people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability and motivation to succeed in the school's program
- Enthusiasm for new experiences and empathy toward diverse cultures and ideas
Certainly, UWC will not be the right 'fit' for every student, but for those who truly want to take part in a challenging and transformative educational experience, attending UWC is a wonderful opportunity.