One of the most time consuming and daunting papers a student will have to write during their academic career is the often dreaded research paper. For the most part, students dread writing this paper because of the endless hours that will be required to gather and analyze the research needed to ensure your paper will be of sound argument and successful. Many students find this type of essay writing a challenge because often, with all their other commitments they find it difficult to find an adequate amount of time to devote to writing their paper, others simply don't feel confident in their writing skills to create a research paper that is worthy of all their hard work. But there are steps any student can take to ensure they write the best research paper possible that adheres to the highest academic standards, as well as one that will impress both their audience and professor.
Using the following guidelines will help you to create a professional research paper and alleviate some of your stress:
- Start by choosing a topic- one that you are passionate about, interested in, or that challenges you in some way. Concentrate on one specific aspect of your topic ex-eating disorders narrow it down to bulimia, anorexia etc...
- Gather relevant information about your topic- As you gather information bookmark favorite sites, copy materials, and take notes. (It also helps to write down the pertinent info needed for your bibliography author, title, publisher/date of publication, URL's etc)
- Surf the internet
- Use almanacs, encyclopedias, search engines for generalized information
- Use the Online Public Access catalog to find books on your topic
- Use online resources/web-based services for information-online reference materials
- Use online periodicals, newspapers, journals, and magazines
- International Public Library, local libraries, university libraries
- Contact knowledgeable people in your community, local organizations, and agencies.
- Write your thesis statement- Once you read all the information you have collected and have become knowledgeable on your topic- decide on what the purpose, case, or intent of your paper is- your thesis statement should be one complete sentence. Organize your information.
- Create an outline for your paper- Introduction, body, and conclusion-use bullet points in the body of your paper with topic sentences followed by supporting evidence.
- Write your first draft- Make certain sources are properly cited, your argument is presented in a logical manner that is organized with the relevant information
- Revise your draft for your final paper- check for grammatical and spelling errors, flow of content, run on sentences, make certain citations are accurate, check for repetition, and make certain your paper is formatted in the correct style.
Understandably, by simply following these guidelines, you probably won't become a brilliant essay writer overnight, but they can help you accomplish a research paper that is informative, interesting, fully researched, and written correctly...more importantly they'll help you create a paper worthy of all your hard work that you can hand in on time!